Our aim is to develop a deep understanding of maths combined with fluency in carrying out calculations
At Holmgate Primary School we are developing a mastery approach to the teaching of mathematics. At the centre of this approach is the belief that all pupils have the potential to succeed. All children should have access to the same curriculum content and, rather than being extended with new content from other year groups, they should deepen their conceptual understanding by reasoning and problem solving.
- To develop a positive attitude towards the subject,
- To become confident and proficient with number, including fluency with mental calculation and looking for connections between numbers,
- To create problem solvers, who can reason, think logically, work systematically and apply their knowledge of mathematics,
- To develop mathematical language which children can use appropriately,
- To help children to become independent learners and to work cooperatively with others,
- To give a real life context to learning in Mathematics.
All teachers plan from the White Rose medium term plans, which allow time to focus on topics by teaching in blocked units. These also address the aims of the 2014 National Curriculum of fluency (F), problem solving (VF) and reasoning (R). The class work together on the same key point, whilst at the same time challenging and supporting pupils to gain depth of understanding and proficiency.
You can find the plan for each year group listed below: