Schools have a central role to play in supporting all children and young people to live healthy active lives. This is particularly true of primary school where the foundations of positive and enjoyable participation in regular physical activity should be established.
Crucial to achieving this is ensuring that pupils have access to at least 30 minutes of physical activity during the school day, alongside high-quality PE provision taught by confident and knowledgeable teachers, and opportunities to experience and participate in a wide range of sports and physical activities. PE and sport premium grant funding should be used by schools towards these aims.
Schools should use the PE and sport premium to secure improvements in the following 5 key indicators:
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Broader experience of a range of sports and physical activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
For more information about how we use our Sports Premium Funding at Holmgate Primary School and Nursery, please see the document below.